Oakden whistleblower drops BOMBSHELL on FIVEaa

May 18, 2017

Share

Oakden whistleblower Stewart Johnston has told FIVEaa’s Jade Robran that in the past three days he has had 40 new individuals approach him with more abuse allegations.

“As of this morning 40 parties have made contact with me via Facebook via media and other means,” Stewart said on Thursday.

“I’ve even had a couple from interstate.”

LISTEN HERE:

He said a “deep culture problem” had been exposed:

“These people have got so used to abusing these people under the radar that they thought they would get away with it again.”

Stewart said he had been contacted by a “significant” number of current and former workers at Oakden and other facilities, as well as “current and previous families” with loved ones at Oakden and other centres.

“I’ve been privy to give them the opportunity to have an ear probably for the first time in a long time,” he said.

“It’s been valuable for them to share their stores. I am assisting them all for whatever they are coming to me for.”

He said the neglect of the elderly in care facilities was a “national disgrace”.

Stewart’s revelations follow reports of more problems at the troubled Oakden site in the last week.

Speaking on FIVEaa breakfast on Thursday, Minister for Mental Health Leesa Vlahos said she could not rule out more reports of abuse after two new incidents came to light in the last week.

She said closure of the facility would “expedited” -- listen here.

MOST POPULAR

THE SALT CREEK ATTACKER HAS BEEN SENTENCED

ADELAIDE CROW SIGNS NEW THREE-YEAR DEAL

Share